Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sugar Cubes - Tutorial

I've made these little sugar cubes for a few different "fancy parties" etc that I have attended, and they always get rave reviews! This "recipe" is from my mom, and maybe she got it from her mom? Anyway, I know she had these at her wedding, they are really cute, and soooo easy to make. Great for weddings, baby showers, wedding showers, Christmas parties, Ladies teas etc. Follow the pictures for instructions, and WOW them at your next event!!
This is what you need. Sugar cubes (in my area, this box was 1.99), Cake Mate Decors little flowers (you won't use the green or white flowers in the bottle...they blend in too well), a drop of green food colouring, a spoonful of icing sugar (powdered sugar in the US), and a teeny bit of water.
I was having serious issues with my camera/the flash/the not flash, and the batteries dying - so these pics are pretty terrible, so sorry. I tried 10 times and I couldn't get the lighting right:-/
Add the water to the icing sugar. You are looking for a glue-like consistency. If it's too thick, add more water, if it's too thin, add more icing sugar. With the toothpick, put a small dab of the "glue" on the center of the sugar cube. Stick a little flower to it. Repeat x100 until all the sugar cubes have flowers on them!

Then add a drop of green colour to the icing sugar "glue". Take the toothpick and make little lines coming off each side of the flower, to look like leaves. Repeat x100 until all the flowers have leaves. Allow to dry for awhile before serving them.

All done, and in a little sugar bowl! Aren't they cute!!

1 comment:

Mom/Beccy said...

This recipe/idea came from Mrs. Maynard Hallman. We went to visit them as a family when I was engaged and she said "I could hardly wait to see you. Look what I found at a bazaar sale. I thought you'd want them for your wedding."